From the Manufacturer
About Green Tek Nonstick Technology:
In the more recent past, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has taken the leading manufacturer of nonstick compounds to task over excessive emissions of PFOA (Perfluorooctanoic Acid). PFOA has been used as a catalyst in the production of PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene), the basic building block for all nonstick cookware surfaces.
PFOA is a chemical that is hard to break down in the environment. It has a half life of 3.8 years, meaning that if there are 4 grams of PFOA in the body today, the body will have 2 grams in it in four years from now, 1 gram in eight years from now and so on. The human metabolism does not remove PFOA. While it is not a carcinogen or toxin and is generally assumed inert and not harmful to your health, it is environmentally unfriendly and just sticks around forever. That is why the EPA and the leading nonstick manufacturer have agreed that by 2010, the amount of PFOA used to produce PTFE compounds need to be cut by 95%, and by 2015 no PFOA could be used, at all.
Towards the end of this process, PFOA is completely extracted via ionization filters. Even if any traces of PFOA were still present by the time the nonstick compound reached the cookware factory, the pan surface curing temperatures would destroy such remnants. The same is true for the old nonstick compound used for Scanpan Classic and Scanpan Professional. That's why Scanpan has always been able to present the finished product as not containing PFOA.
Scanpan cookware has always been PFOA free, but the negative publicity that PFOA and, by extension, PTFE had received over the last few years, had caused Scanpan to work closely with their suppliers to find a substitute for PFOA that is environmentally friendly and biodegradable. Scanpan received patents on PFOA-free technology in 2007 and has been producing Scanpan Classic and Scanpan Professional with this new process since spring 2007. With their new Green Tek technology, there is no PFOA used at any stage of the entire process, resulting in a "clean and green" nonstick PTFE compound, the production of which no longer uses chemicals that could have a negative impact on the environment.
The performance of the Scanpan Green Tek surface is not different in any way from the performance of Scanpan's previous surface. And Scanpan continues to incorporate their patented ceramic-titanium technology. Scanpan is safe to use with metal utensils and each piece comes with a lifetime warranty.
Taking Care of Scanpan Classic Cookware:
1. Before first use, remove all packing materials, labels and tags and
wash pan in hot, soapy water. Rinse well and dry. Assemble the glass
cover handle, if applicable, following the instructions on the poly bag
that holds all handle parts. Tighten by hand, only, do not use tools.
Make sure the small washer that goes on the underside of the glass
cover is flush with the glass surface. If not, turn the washer around
and re-assemble the handle.
2. Heat pan to working temperature. Medium heat is typically sufficient for frying and sauteing. Since each stove top has its own settings, find the best heat setting for your stove by starting at a lower setting, then gradually increase until water splashed on the pan surface evaporates immediately with a sizzle. High heat can be used for other applications, like boiling water, stir frying, oven roasting etc. Scanpan Classic Cookware is oven safe to 500 degrees F.
3. Scanpan Classic can be used without oil, butter, or other seasonings, making it especially suitable for low fat diets.
4. After use, remove food and clean Scanpan Classic with warm, soapy water. Scanpan Classic wipes clean with a sponge. Scanpan Classic is dishwasher safe, however, Scanpan recommends using extra care if you decide to clean the pans in the dishwasher to prevent damage to plates, glassware, etc.
5. When storing Scanpan Classic Cookware and "nesting" (placing smaller pots inside larger pots) is required due to space limitations, Scanpan recommends placing a paper or cloth towel between the pots and pans to prevent scuff marks. Glass covers should ideally be stored upright. If that is not practical, Scanpan recommends using towels or other suitable material to wrap the covers and to prevent them from chipping or breaking.
Scanpan's Classic 11-in. Stir Fry Pan allows you to heat up the pan for great stir fry and you'll love if for the easy clean up.Green Tek from Scanpan is Certified PFOA-Free process for its patented ceramic-titanium nonstick surface that is healthy for you and the environment. With still giving you the only non-stick cookware that you can use metal utensils on it, allows for even browning, searing and deglazing-all things that are not recommended for traditional non stick pans. It requires little or no fat for cooking. Easily clean up will not find these pans taking up space in your dishwasher. Yes, it is dishwasher safe also. Pressure-cast aluminum base with optimum thickness for perfect heat distribution and superior heat retention. Oven Safe to 500.